I love brownies, like really love brownies. With a scoop of coconut ice cream I am pretty much in heaven. Usually I go for the straight forward brownie, but recently I have ventured out and starting putting things in my vegan brownies, like these walnuts. Simple but delicious. Toasted pecans, or hazelnuts would also be great. I also like a fluttering of sea salt on top. Just to bring out the chocolate and get some of the sweet/salty action happening.
Vegan Brownies with Walnuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. brewed espresso or coffee
- 1 tbsp. vegan butter spread
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (vegan)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1.25 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Make sure there are no lumps. set aside.
- Carefully melt together the coffee, butter, and chocolate chips.
- Once melted, stir in the vanilla extract. Then add the sugar, cocoa powder, oil, and water. Mix until well combined.
- Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour into an 8 X 8 cooking dish. Consider sprinkling a touch of sea salt on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.