With fall season upon us, the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting much cooler. If you, like me, have been craving soups to keep you warm, you will definitely enjoy this soup with a creative soup. This Roasted Tomato Soup is not only a delicious, smooth and creamy tomato soup, but is topped with the classic grilled cheese sandwich in crouton form resulting in a classic comfort food done right. This soup is also great for freezing (without the croutons) so you can know you have the comfort of it all season long! I personally love to add a touch of coconut milk (to keep it vegan if you desire) or cream to the top and swirl it in for a little added richness.
Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 liter or 4 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar/coconut sugar/sucanat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Handful fresh basil, shredded (optional)
- Two slices Multigrain bread
- 1 slice vegan cheese
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the sugar, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend for about 1 minute until smooth, or if you have an immersion blender (produces much smoother results) blend until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top with garnish and grilled cheese croutons.
- For Grilled Cheese Croutons: While soup is simmering, In a grilled cheese maker or on a skillet, prepare grill cheese sandwich to your likening until very crisp. Cut into cubes and add a few to soup immediately before serving.
Add a comment