On Monday you’re already dreaming of 5pm on Friday. On Friday you’re hoping to get at least one day to sleep in and wishing you had a maid to do your laundry so you could just relax. Stress is all around us and more then ever what with the economy in its current state, family, career and lack of time to just sit for a bit to gather your thoughts. All of this can lead to poor food choices due to lack of time, sleep deprivation, fatigue and even bad moods. We all need a chance to recharge our batteries and what better way then taking a short, but ultra relaxing trip to a health spa?
More and more, spa resorts that focus on health and relaxation have been popping up. But navigating the waters of what is actually healthy and what is just pure pampering can be tough. With the run of the mill spas, the products used in their treatments as well as the food being served is far from beneficial. So sure, you may get pampered and have time to relax, but ultimately, your body isn’t getting the chance to heal as you continue to consume more toxins. It is important that on a spa retreat, you get the most out of being gone. Even a 3 day weekend can really give you the boost you need (and deserve) if you are at the right place that serves all of your health needs.
Now, yes, some of these can be very costly but if you time your trip right, search for deals, or go with friends, you may just get a great deal along with your heal!
Here are a few of my picks:
- We Care Spa– Desert Hot Springs, CA – A premiere Spa Juice Fasting Detoxification Spa & Spiritual Retreat. If you’re looking for looking to cleanse your mind, body and spirit, this is the place. For sure it’s pricey but they’ve got a number pf packages to choose from so if you just need a quick 3 day, 2 night boost, they’ve got you covered. You may also run into a celeb or 2!
- Birchcreek – Hudson Valley, NY – For those in the north east, this is a great spot as they offer a variety of stay options. This country style inn is sweet and low key to help keep you on your wellness path.
- Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat & Spa – Martha’s Vineyard, MA – Who knew you could find an alternative therapy spa in the heart of classic America. Tucked away in a beautiful colonial style inn, you can detox and revitalize in one of America’s most magical destination locations.
- Sanivan – Hurleyville, NY – This spot isn’t so much detox oriented as it is mind and soul cleansing. I love that they have a meditation labyrinth and drum circles!
- Hippocrates Health Institute – Palm Beach, FL – Since 1956, HHI has been a leader in holistic living, healing and complementary health care. Boasting a spa, health market and a health educator program, you may need more then just a weekend getaway at HHI!
- Raj Ayurveda Health Spa – Fairfield, Iowa – Yep, the Maharishi who once helped out the Beatles, settled in Iowa and grew an Ayurvedic empire. The Health Spa offers ayurvedic treatments for all sorts of medical conditions and ailments. While not fully vegan, they are vegetarian. Vegans must be clear that ghee and other dairy products must be omitted from their meal plan.
- Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center – Patagonia, AZ – From 21 day detox programs and vegan vacations to becoming an Essene priest, TLRC is the closest thing to feeling like you’ve entered a hippie commune. But in a good way! Touting peaceful and spiritual living by way of action and diet, you will get a lot more then just a detox here.
- Ann Wigmore Institute – Puerto Rico – First of all, you’re in Puerto Rico, secondly, you’re getting an education. Living well programs, cleanses and even special weeks for men and athletes, this retreat will help you in more ways then one.
- Fresh Start – Canada – They specialize in advanced whole body detoxification and self-care for individuals with mild to moderate health conditions. Located on Vancouver Island, just being on the grounds is healing ; )
- Tao Garden – Thailand – Just beneath the Himalayas, this organic raw cuisine and healthy living spa feels like paradise. A healing resort that also offers holistic medical care, if you find yourself in Thailand, Tao Garden needs to be on your list of places to spend some time.
- Jiva Healing – Europe, UK & India – With detox retreats in some of the most beautiful places in the world, you may just have to hit these guys up when in need f a healthy break! Juice fasting, healthy eating and yoga, the locations are only offered at certain times as they are not open as spa resorts year round. Check them out and plan ahead!
- The Retreat – Bali – Healthy cleansing and chi gung therapies in Bali? Need I say more to get you there?
- Kangaroo Island Health Retreat – Australia – This spa books up months ahead of time and only offer 6 day stays. However with proper planning and enough cash, KIHR is one of the top healthy living resorts in the world. Not to mention gorgeous!
- Yaxkin – Mexico – A truly green hotel and with holistic services that date back to the ancient Mayans, a stay at the Hacienda will definitely help you unplug. Located near the most famous of Mayan ruins,not only will you feel the history, the Yaxkin spa on the grounds of the resort will rejuvenate you like nothing you’ve ever felt.