One of my favorite ways to eat eggplant is in Asian inspired dishes. I think they tend to stand up really nicely with soy, sesame, miso, or in this case a combination of the three. Consider adding some fresh chiles if you prefer a spicy flavor – red thai chiles or a simple jalapeno would work great in this dish. Paired with some quinoa and greens this makes a delicious meal.
Sesame Miso Eggplant
- 1 lb. Japanese eggplant, sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2-3 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the eggplant and pepper and cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, miso, and water.
- Once the eggplant is softened, add the miso mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes until it thickens and becomes glaze-like. Top with sesame seeds and serve.