My heart hurts a little every time I see someone throwing away the tops of vegetables like beets and carrots. Not only is it wasted produce and money, but they are missing out on so many delicious dishes that utilize these misunderstood veggies. In this recipe, both the beets and beet greens are used, to create a hearty and filling salad when paired with avocado and a lemon tahini dressing. Consider adding sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and pistachios for even more protein and some added crunch.
Beet, Beet Green, and Avocado Salad with Tahini Lemon Dressing
- 1 golden beet
- 1 red beet
- 1 bunch beet greens
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. agave
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. choppped mint
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and roast for 1 hour. Remove and let cool. Carefully peel the skin and chop.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Clean and chop the beet greens. Add to the boiling water for 1 minute and immediately run under cool water. Dry well with a towel squeezing out as much moisture as possible.
- Whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, agave, water, garlic. mint, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper to create the dressing.
- Toss together the beets, beet greens, scallions, avocado, and dressing.