Recently I have been craving spice, but wanted to mix up the recipe I traditionally make for crumbled vegan taco filling. This time around I wanted to use tofu and pair it up with some spicy peppers, tomatoes, and black beans. The resulting recipe is a delicious blend of Mexican spiced tofu with juicy tomatoes and creamy black beans. Perfect stuffed in tacos, burritos, or eaten on its own.
- 14 oz. package extra firm tofu
- 1.5 tsp. chili powder
- .5 tsp. onion powder
- .5 tsp. garlic powder
- .5 tsp. oregano
- .5 tsp. cumin
- .5 tsp. coriander
- .5 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup jalapenos, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained (Optional)
- Press out the extra moisture from the tofu using a tofu press or paper towels.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and toss with chile powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, and salt. It is easiest to mix together the spices first and then toss with the tofu.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno, red pepper, and green pepper. Let cool for 5 minutes. Add the tofu and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add the diced tomatoes (and beans if using) and cook for 1-2 more minutes, until hot.