Here’s a pizza so good that non-vegans made it by accident and loved it! If you like your pizza piled-high and gooey, this is the one for you. It’s easy to see how they wouldn’t miss the meat. Wouldn’t this be perfect for the Superbowl …or any casual get together?
Here’s Dirk’s story of how this pizza came to be: “I was making Tortilla Pizza for supper, had some ground turkey defrosted in the fridge for it. Had the whole wheat tortillas on the cookie sheet and put the sauce on, then the spinach, grated carrots, diced red pepper and diced tomatoes, topped them with the grated cheese and popped it in the oven. There we were eating and DH says, my gowd this is good but I can’t see the turkey on mine HA HA!!! The ground turkey was still in the fridge, completely forgot to cook and put it on and we didn’t even miss it ! Very tasty accidental Veggie Pizza”
o 4 (28 g) whole wheat tortillas ( 9 inch tortillas)
o 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated, divided (or a vegan cheese)
o 1 (7 1/2 ounce) cans pizza sauce, we like hot & spicy
o 5 ounces fresh spinach, rolled and sliced into half inch strips
o 1/2 cup sweet red peppers, diced ( or your choice of colour)
o 1/2 cup carrots, rough grated
o 1 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
o 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated ( or a vegan cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 375f degrees and prepare a cookie sheet covered with tinfoil for easy cleanup.
2. Place two tortillas on cookie sheet, split 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese in half and sprinkle on each tortilla, place a second tortilla on top of the cheese sprinkled ones. (I found that one tortilla is a little too “bendy”; sprinkling the cheese between keeps them together and gives more firmness to the tortilla crust).
3. Spread half of the pizza sauce on each tortilla crust, sprinkle half of the cut spinach over the sauce, then half of the pepper, diced tomato and grated carrot over each.
4. Combine the remaining mozzarella and cheddar and sprinkle half on each tortilla.
5. Place cookie sheet on the middle rack of preheated oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling and crust edges are brown.
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings per Recipe: 2
Calories from Fat 193 50%
Total Fat 21.5g 33%
Saturated Fat 12.1g 60%
Cholesterol 65.9mg 21%
Sodium 1122.3mg 46%
Total Carbohydrate 24.0g 8%
Dietary Fiber 4.4g 17%
Sugars 14.9 g 59%
Protein 26.2g 52%
If you’d like some luscious desserts to go with that pizza on game day, take a look at the 55 amazing recipes in Are You Sure That’s Vegan? (Desserts). You could choose Chocolate Cheesecake or Peanut Butter Fudge or Berry Jelly Trifle or Raspberry Cream Cheese Cupcakes….or one of 51 others. They’ve all been tested and loved by vegans and non-vegans. They’re exact clones of classic, non-vegan favorites. You wouldn’t know they’re vegan. Really. Click Are You Sure That’s Vegan? (Desserts) to see the beautiful photos and read the testimonials. Get some free recipes, too!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends.
[fbshare type=”button”] [twitter style=”horizontal” source=”vegancooking” float=”left”]
[fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”true” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”]