Whether you’ve been vegan for a while, or you want to start doing Meatless Mondays, or you are curious about how to begin going vegan, this list of grocery essentials might be useful. It answers many questions a newcomer might have…like, where do I get protein, what can I use for dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese and ice cream, or what spices will I need first. You probably won’t need all 35 things right away. If you’re already vegan, you might have substitutions. But this list is a good place for newcomers to start.
The list is from Kathy Patalsky. She’s a long-time vegan who has written vegan books for children and has a mission to teach people the benefits of vegan healthy eating. Her website is FindingVegan.com. You can see the complete grocery list at kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/Grocery List.
Kathy’s Top Thirty-Five Vegan Kitchen Essentials List:
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (macadamia, grape seed and hemp oils are also fantastic)
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Vegan Protein Substitution: (Tempeh/Tofu/Seitan/vegan sausages/gardein/boca) *Tempeh is my fave.
4. Sprouted Grain Complete Protein Bread or Quinoa
5. Nutritional Yeast
6. Vegan Sweetener *Maple Syrup – Grade B is best* Agave Syrup works too
7. Kombucha Beverage
8. Cayenne or Cinnamon (‘warm’ spice)
9. Soy, Hemp, Nut or Rice Milk
10. Vegenaise Spread
11. Sweet Potatoes
12. Citrus Fruit (Grapefruit, Oranges, lemon)
13. Frozen Green Pod Protein (Shelled Edamame or Peas)
14. Leafy Greens (arugula/spinach/watercress)
15. Rice Crisps – wasabi flavor is my fave
17. Fresh Herbs (flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, basil and more)
18. *Assorted Fresh Seasonal Produce* (Local/Farmers Market preferred)
19. Raw Nuts (Brazil/Cashew/Almonds) and Seeds (pumpkin, sesame, hemp, poppy)
20. Coconut Water (A MUST!) Coconut Water Taste Test.
22. Mushrooms (Shiitake preferred)
23. Tea (Green, Black or Chai)
24. Spicy Condiments (Dijon Mustard, Salsa or Harissa)
25. Dried Rice/Grains (like Quinoa)
26. Berries (fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, blackberries…)
28. Fresh black pepper grinder
29. Dried/Canned Beans
30. Fresh Morning Fruit: Papaya or Melon is my fave
31. Vegan Cheese (Dr Cow, Follow Your Heart or Daiya)
32. Lots or Lemons!
33. Digestive roots: fennel, radish or ginger
34. Soy Yogurt
35. Something sweet… soy/coconut/hemp ice cream perhaps…
Kathy groups some other items you could begin to purchase over time. These may be useful, especially to new vegans, since they offer an idea of what is available.
Vegenaise Spread (Vegan Mayo-type spread)
Vegan Cream Cheese
Vegan Cheese (Daiya, DrCow, Follow Your Heart. Homemade)
Parmesan Cheese (Purple vegan bottle – Galaxy Nutri brand)
Vegan Buttery Spread (Soy/Olive Oil based style butter)
Liquid Smoke (Vegan way to get that smoky BBQ flavor)
Extra Firm Tofu
Frozen Shelled Edamame Beans
Sprouted Grain Bread
Thick Cut Oats
Whole Wheat Couscous
Arborio Rice (Risotto)
Fava-Garbanzo Bean Flour
Large Pitted Olives
Organic Garbanzo Beans
San Marzano Tomatoes
Udon Miso Noodle Soup
Vegan Marinara Sauce
Roasted Red Peppers
At this time of year we’re looking for quality gifts to give friends and family. We’re also getting close to the New Year, a time when we think seriously about changing and improving our lives. If you have family or friends who are interested in trying veganism, vegetarianism, or Meatless Mondays, this list and a few of the items on the list in a basket would be a great starter gift.
Another great way to introduce vegan cooking to your family or friends would be with Claire Gosse’s amazing cookbooks, Are You Sure That’s Vegan? (Breakfasts) and Are You Sure That’s Vegan? (Desserts). These books contain delicious recipes that are exact clones of classic non-vegan recipes. How about vegan Chocolate Waffles or Breakfast Burritos or Asparagus Quiche or Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse Pie? Yum! The recipes have been tried and loved by vegans and non-vegans alike. Click the links to see the beautiful photos and read the testimonials.
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends.
[fbshare type=”button”] [twitter style=”horizontal” source=”vegancooking” float=”left”]
[fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”true” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”]