One of my favorite indulgences is delicious samosas at my favorite local Indian restaurant. However even though they taste delicious, they are usually dripping in oil from the deep fryer and not the healthiest option. To combat this, I decided to create my own healthy version at home. They are baked instead of fried and use cauliflower instead of the potatoes to really cut down on the calorie count. You could easily use regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, or a combination of potatoes and cauliflower depending on your preferences.
Vegan Baked Samosas with Mint Cilantro Sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cupmint
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp.lime juice
- 1 tbsp.olive oil (or sesame)
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower florets
- 3/4 cup cooked peas
- 3/4 cupcooked diced carrots
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 24 vegan wonton wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. I prefer the coconut oil spray.
- In a food processor pulse together the garlic, mint, cilantro, sugar, lime juice, and olive oil to create your dipping sauce.
- Use a potato masher to mash your cauliflower florets, adding a touch of water or vegetable broth if needed. (To cook just microwave or boil under very tender.)
- Fold in the peas, carrots, curry powder, garam masala, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Lay out the wonton wrappers and add about 1 tbsp. of the mixture to each. Fold over the wonton wrapper, wetting the edge with a touch of water. Press closed.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip and bake the other side for 4-5 minutes until toasted. Spray with additional cooking spray or brush with oil if they aren’t browning. Makes 24 samosas.